Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Mesa ( Not Mensa)

Christmas supper 2009, I was sitting next to my nephew when I asked him how college was going. "Great", was his reply," "I joined MESA" I had no idea what that was. Lucky for me I now know. "Well UNC, I am an engineering student and I get really good grades."Common family knowledge and not unusual in our white,christian,mostly professional hardworking family with no bastard children.He went on to explain "The professor that runs the MESA group asked me to join.""I thought they wanted me to help tutor some of the kids who were having problems in math." "But no they wanted me to join to raise the GPA high enough for it to be recognized by the college as an official club."
That did not seem like a big deal.I asked why the college students joined. "Oh the black guys told me, they get money each month for being a member of the Minority Engineering Student Association." I asked are you going to get any money for being in the group? " No for some reason since I am not a minority I am not eligible for the stipend" "I did win a partial scholarship for having the highest GPA."
At what point will these affirmative action engineers be allowed to work for NASA? You and I know they will pass their boards. Remember how affirmative action works.

1 comment:

  1. It's difficult to know whether to shake one's head or roll one's eyes or spew curse words after reading this post.

    The idea of Negro engineers is a striking one...and I don't mean that in a good way. I once worked with a Nigerian who claimed that he had been (a) a prince, (b) a colonel in the army of Nigeria, and (c) a mechanical engineer. Watching this heavy-lidded, stuporous creature plod his way through the most mundane paperwork or assignments as if they were Mars-landing calculations made me realize that he was either a liar of prodigious output, or the nonwhite world's idea of an "engineer" is a scary thing.

    Perhaps your nephew's classmates will be placed in charge of "O" ring maintenence on the next round of space vehicles. Bracing thought, that.

    Thank you for posting this, sir.

    ReplyDelete